After making a splash with their 2011 pop-up Money Cat brunches, Chef Justin Yu, Karen Man and Justin Vann have put down roots with Oxheart—a modern, yet casual American restaurant located in Houston’s Warehouse District. Even before the concept debuted in March 2012, GQ magazine dubbed it one of the five “hottest restaurant openings” in the U.S. this year.
Named for a variety of carrot, tomato and cabbage, as well as the obvious meat affiliation, Chef Yu’s Oxheart reflects a balanced approach to the natural relationship between plant and animal. Through his modern American interpretation of regional resources, Yu embarks on a concentrated exploration of the Texas Gulf Coast, showcasing a largely ignored diversity of coastal ingredients.
Set in Latin Bites’ former space, the 26-seat Oxheart offers diners three nightly tasting menus—one catering to vegetarians and two others utilizing meat, fish and vegetables—as well as beverage choices stemming largely from small producers.
Oxheart is open for dinner Thursday through Monday.
For more on the chef behind Oxheart, click here.
- Included on Southern Living’s list of 100 Places to Eat Now (2013).
- Named one of the Best New Restaurants in the American South and one of the 70 best in the world by Conde Nast Traveler (2013).
- Sommelier Justin Vann named one of Food & Wine’s Sommeliers of the Year (2013).
- Named a James Beard Award semifinalist for Best New Restaurant (2013).
- Chef Justin Yu named a James Beard Award semifinalist for Rising Star Chef of the Year (2013).
- Included on GQ’s list of the 12 Outstanding Restaurants of 2013.
- Named one of the 12 Best New Restaurants in Texas by Texas Monthly (2013).
- On Food and Wine’s list of the best new places to drink wine (2012).
- Included on Bon Appetit’s Hot 10, a list of the Top 10 Best New Restaurants in the U.S. (2012)
- Named one of the 5 hottest restaurants openings of 2012 by GQ magazine.
Content courtesy of VisitHouston.com